GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Tracker 4x4: I have a 2003 chevy tracker. The headlights

Customer Question

I have a 2003 chevy tracker. The headlights don`t work. All the other lights work. If you take the plug off the headlight bulb, all 3 legs are 12 volts without the light switch or ignition on. It has daytime running lights also that don`t work. I changed the relay and fuses, then thought it may be multi-function switch and changed it, but didn`t help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.
If you ground the red or red/white wire at the headlight connector, do the headlights operate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a minute to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you ground the red/white both will come on real bright.If you ground red it will blow a fuse.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Which fuse does it blow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 15 amp in box for left headlight under hood. It has 1 for left and 1 for right headlight.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Remove both headlight bulbs and ground the red wire. Does the fuse still blow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I tried both sides and it didn`t blow either fuse.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Okay install one headlight bulb at a time and try grounding the wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you put the drivers side bulb in and ground the red wire it didn`t blow fuse. It was real bright. If you grounded blue/white wire blew fuse.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
What about the other bulb?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the left side it is ok if you ground red wire or red/white wire. If you ground other wire, which is white/red it blew fuse.
Both wires when grounded that blew fuses are marked ground on back of plug.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
The white/red and white/blue wires both supply power to the headlights and should not be grounded.
If you install bulb in right side and ground the red or red/white does the fuse blow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last post I meant to say right side.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Did you try both bulbs, or just one bulb in both sides? If you just tried one bulb, try the other and see if the fuse blows when grounding the red or red/white wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had different bulbs. On Drivers side it didn`t blow with one bulb if you grounded red or white/blue. On passenger side with one bulb if you grounded red or white/red it didn`t blow.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
If you ground Red wire on drivers side, did fuse blow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
But with both bulbs in place if you ground the red wire, the fuse blows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Does this fuse also blow if you turn on the High beam headlight at the switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not light anything with light switch turned on.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Does the headlamp relay click when turning the headlight switch on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don`t here it click when I turn the switch when I get down under dash and turn switch on. The relay is under dash at left side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn`t have the owners manual to know which relay is the drl relay and which is headlight relay. There was 3 or 4 relays at firewall and 2 or 3 at front of box under dash.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
The relay is under the dash on the drivers side,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea, I had the switch on and turned the switch on and off and did not hear it click.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well. Dave, I have got to get to bed. Do you work tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey Dave, I will be back on about 2:00 today.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if the daytime running light diode is in place and functional?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Where is it? What does it look like?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Service manual does not give a location for this diode, likely in the underhood fuse panel area. See if you can locate the headlight relay #18 in picture attached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well at the fuse box under dash there are the 2 relays that look like the picture of 15 & 16. Then there is a relay about straight across from 16 at the back of the box. Then there is another relay about 2" above it.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Should be the one above it. Check for voltage on the Pink/White wire at this relay. Should have voltage with the headlight switch on. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pink/white had power with switch on and off. Also with headlight switch on and off. Power all time.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
What about Pink/Black? Does this wire show voltage? Test with headlight switch on and off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pink/black didn`t have power with or without switch on. It has two more wires. A solid black that had no power. And a Yellow that had power all time.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Okay try grounding the pink/black and see if relay clicks on and turns on headlights. Let me know.