Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have 2008 Chevy express 3500 abs light parking brake light

Customer Question

I have 2008 Chevy express 3500 abs light parking brake light comes on and truck won't shift out of first gear I stop pull put in park then back in drive and will shift fine for a little while till I stop and go in traffic
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry for the long wait
does the speedometer stop working or act up when this is happening ?
can you find out what codes are set in the ABS computer ?
what size engine and transmission are in this van ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes speedometer stop working and light for what gear it's in doesn't work
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
what size engine and transmission is in this truck ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran codes all come up for fuel gauge problems motor size 6.0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what size transmission it's actual lay a box truck 14 ft van front end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Codes I got from a actron computer 171 174(###) ###-####1175 look up all had to do with fuel system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you need my phone number is(###) ###-####I will need to go to work soon
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok with ehte speedometer not working and the transmission position not showing any gears when this acts up the issue on these trucks comes down to one of 3 things
1 ) the ignition switch not fully powering the TCM ( transmission control module )
2 ) the TCM itself
3 ) the range switch either on the drivers side of the transmission if this is a 4L60 or 65 or 70 transmission or internally under the transmission pan if its an Allison or an 80 or 90 transmission
the best bet is to have a scan tool plugged into the truck and when it acts up see if you can communicate with the TCM if you can not then its the ignition switch or the TCM
if you can communicate with it and the TCM is not showing a range or no range at all then the odds are its the range switch causing this problem
most shops with a high end sacn tool can nail down the exact problem well within the 1 hour diagnostic charge to know exactly which it is and then you can fix it yourself off of what they say or just have the shop fix it
but in a nut shell this is all happening because of the TCM not sending the MPH and range info to the engine computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
anytime
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !