Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

CHEVY COLORADO: I have a cchevy colorado 2004 4x4 automatic

Customer Question

I have a cchevy colorado 2004 4x4 automatic transmission that when drive just shifts into the neutral quites going. LET IT SET FOR A FEW MINUTES AND IT STARTS DRIVING AGAIN.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry for the long wait
when this happens will reverse work ?
when this happens and you pull over with the truck still running if you put the truck in park will the truck lock and not roll on the parking lock ? or will the truck roll in park ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will roll like its in neutral
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It rolls
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information
when this acts like neutral like this and in park the truck will still roll the issue is the transfer case internally failing or the encoder motor on the drivers side of the transmission causing this
when this happens what position is showing up on the 4WD switch ? before you shut it off if you shift the transfer case will it start to move or will it shift into 4HI ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven t tried that I took the front drive shaft didn t want my son playing around in the mud
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok if the transfer case is still showing 2WD when this happens the issue will be inside the transfer case of something failing and the transfer case going into neutral
the transfer case will need to come out of this truck and taken apart and find what is causing the internals of the transfer case to go into neutral
if it was the encoder motor the 4WD would show neutral when its acting up
since it is not showing neutral on the switch the shaft the motor sits on to turn the internal of the transfer case into 4HI ect... is not moving when this happens which points to an internal issue inside the transfer case im sorry to say