BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD LT: I have a 2001 Chev. Silverado

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Chev. Silverado 3500 with a duramax. For the past 4 years whenever I am towing my horse trailer my truck will lose power and go into what I have heard is a limp mode. I have had it into the dealership three times for the same problem and it still is not fixed. Last week they replaced the Barometric sensor to the tune of 464.00 and it did not fix the problem. We have changed the fuel filter so that is not the problem. Do you have any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the truck is always fine without the trailer? Does the check engine light come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the truck is always fine without the trailer. After the truck goes into limp mode several times while going down the road, the check engine light sometimes comes on.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have one last question. When this occurs have you noticed if there is any smoke coming from the exhaust?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is no smoke coming from the exhaust.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It sounds like you are losing fuel pressure when this occurs. It can be because of a very small hole in one of the lines or the high pressure fuel pump. With a scan tool you need to monitor the fuel pressure when this is occurring. If it starts bleeding off right before the problem occurs then you know where to start.