Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Chevrolet Cobalt SS: John. I have a 2006 cobalt SS and

Customer Question

Hi John. I have a 2006 cobalt SS and it always running hot and the fans are loud. I took it to a mechanic who changed the coolant sensor and thermostat and it still runs hot...I live in NYC so its always stop & go and the leval always hits 200-228..i have Dexicool coolant and i'm just afraid its gonna overheat. 2 mechanics checked it out and both said this is standard for my car. even the loud fan noise. is this normal
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.
The symptoms you are experiencing are normal for your car. The thermostat opens at 195 degrees, but the temperature also depends upon air movement through the radiator. In stop and go traffic, the airflow has to come from the fans. The computer turns the fans on at 228 degrees, so this is where the temperature is regulated. This is done to help reduce emissions. With a hotter engine, the fuel is burned more completely. Fans do roar and make noise, so unless you have a broken fan blade, there is likely nothing you can do to quiet the fan operation.