Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 99 malibu it cranks strong but doesn't start I replaced

Customer Question

I have a 99 malibu it cranks strong but doesn't start I replaced the fuel pump because there was no fuel pressure at the rail still didn't start. I realized the instrument cluster would only show the air bag light and the theft light. I cranked it and both lights went out and still no start. I replace the ignition switch and the theft light flashed for 10 min then went out. Stills. Turns over and now no theft light the only light is the air bag flash no gauges nothing. What am I missing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What engine is in this?
Check the fuses for the instrument cluster, gauges, the ignition, fuel injectors and the ecm.
Then see if the engine will start up for a few seconds after spraying a few small shots of starting fluid into the throttle body. If it does start then make sure the fuel pump does run when you first turn the key to run and check for voltage to the fuel injectors with the key on run and start (cranking), then with a noid light check for a fuel injector pulse while cranking the engine.
If it didn't start with starting fluid, check for a spark from one of the spark plug wires. If there is spark, remove the spark plugs and clean any gas smell off them using carb cleaner. If the check engine light is on, retrieve the codes. If the check engine light don't even come on when you first turn the key on, check the fuses.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you still want help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the v 6 and I will check more fuses tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't find any bad could it be the ecu
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I need you to answer all of my questions or we cannot move on.