GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Z71: I have a '96 Chevy Z71 that won't stay running.

Customer Question

I have a '96 Chevy Z71 that won't stay running. When you are driving down the road it will die, and whenever you try to re start it tries to turn over when the key is set to the auxiliary position,and it will not quit trying to turn over until you take out the starter relay. It's been worked on twice at a shop and they have replaced the alternator, ignition switch, all belts because they claimed it was "spiking". Both times that I have gotten it out I have gone about 70 miles before it starts doing this again. The mechanic I've used is claiming that the next step is to by-pass the starter but I would like a second opinion before I shell out more money for them to "fix it" again. Any one have any idea what is going on?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like it has 2 separate problems here.
1. It dies out while driving
2. The starter doesnt disengage when you turn the key back from start to the run position after it starts.
Does this sound right?
If you need to add more info please do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I get it out of the shop I can drive it for about 70 miles, perfectly fine without any problem and then this is what it does.1. It will randomly die. Without any warning, just die.2. I try and re-start the truck, but when I turn the key to the auxiliary position (not the Start position) it immediately tries to turn over, doesn't start but tries. Sorry, it DOES disengage when I turn it from auxiliary to off.3. While it is in the auxiliary position it will try and try to turn over, so I get out of the truck and remove the starter relay while it's trying to turn over and then it will continue to run.So here is an example of how this works, maybe this will help.I'm driving my truck down the highway and it dies. Without warning. I turn the key to try to get it to crank and when it gets to the auxiliary position it starts trying to turn over, so I hop out and take the starter relay out while it's in auxiliary trying to turn over. Once I take it out it turns over and runs. I hop back in and continue down the highway to the feed store. I shut it off at the store. Came back out later to leave the store, and I put the relay back in the truck. Sometimes the truck will crank right up in the START position and get me back home without a problem. Or I will turn the key to auxiliary, it tries to turn over again, hop out and take the relay out, it turns over and runs and I head on to the next place.I have replaced the starter relay thinking that was the problem but it wasn't.
Thanks for all the info!
Unfortunately i have never come across this before and dont feel confident in solving it without being there. BUT someone else here may have so i will put your question back on the list. Best wishes on this!
LJ