BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT LT: I have a 2003 trailblazer LT.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 trailblazer LT. Went to start it and nothing happened.The dash lights came on but no over head lights. When I turned the key to the start position all lights would go out. I then disconnected the battery cables thinking it was a ground issue and it started, but I heard a clicking noise coming from the rear HVAC blower. It shut off then after driving 10 miles my headlights turned off, battery gauge went all the way down and when I stopped it stalled.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then I cleaned battery cables again and it started but still clicking in rear blower.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** the battery cables are clean and tight and if the battery itself is fine then you may have a failing ignition switch or a problem with the body control module. Both of these are common issue. It can also occur if the battery cable has high internal resistance and is failing internally. If you have a voltage meter I can run you through some tests.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a volt meter. What tests need ran.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
I first need to know what the voltage is at the battery and then when the voltage does when someone tries starting it. I would also need to know what the voltage is at the fuse box under the hood. From there is everything is fine I would have you test the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bobby I'm a certified john deere technician for 19 yrs. I have checked ignition switch, all relays and power to starter. started fine for 2 days after removing negative battery cable. Now I have nothing again. I hooked my 12 volt test light up to negative cable while unhooked and the probe end in the battery and had voltage. Pulled all fuses . When I pulled the IPC ( instrument panel cluster) fuse light dimmed. Then when I pulled the radio fuse light dimmed. So I know I have a voltage draw from some where. When I turn the key it dings and some idiot lights come on. Not dash lights or daytime running lights. Headlights will come on if I turn the switch. But no dash lights. Also no interior lights.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
If the ignition switch is fine then you more than likely have a failing body control module. It controls these circuits and is prone to intermittent failure. Most of the time the hardware inside starts to fail and the programming does not work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a thought but I just recently installed the progressive snapshot. Now could that have caused it. Didn't have these problems until this install
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
If it is faulty internally then it definitely can. I would remove it and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same problem. I have not got a bcm yet. I removed the rear blower actuator because it sounded like it was going past it's limiter. Removed both battery cables for 1 hour and started everything worked. I shut off engine restarted and after 5 min headlights went out battery gauge dropped to 0 and radio says locked.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
What is the alternator charging at? If there is low voltage it can cause a series of issues like this. Otherwise it sounds like the BCM. The only way to know for sure if to install a scan tool that reads BCM data to be able to tell what is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's charging at 14.5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's at Chevy service department wish I had the scan tool.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
The scan tool makes all of the difference. So is the vehicle out of your hands now?