Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT: My 2007 Suburban wont let me open

Customer Question

My 2007 Suburban wont let me open the rear hatch. The window opens fine with the button or remote but the hatch wont unlatch when i press the button on the handle. no noise like i usually hear from the actuator either. I cannot see anyway to manually open it either. very frustrating.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this sounds like the hatch release actuator/latch has failed.This can be common as I have seen and had to replace in the past before.There is a procedure to open the hatch/door manually.If you want the info on how to open this manually let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete yes I have not been able to find any solutions to this problem for a suburban newer than 2006 online. Getting the hatch open manually is the first step and I can see no obvious way. What has actually failed Switch, actuator etc I cannot tell.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Most likely it is the latch itself that needs replaced as this is more common.Below is the procedure for your model and model year vehicle on how to open the rear hatch manually.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp2jcr72wc6axho/d-05-15.gif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bh36icqaj8y70v/di-05-15.gif?dl=0
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete. Away for the Canad***** ***** week me. I will loreply back early next week.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.
Let me know what you come up with here and if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi peteI have viewed the procedure for manually opening the tailgate. I will test it out tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it went. We used this vehicle for our long weekend trip and it started working again for a few days and is now non functioning again. Intermittent... the worst kind!!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Usually it is the latch itself that fails or acts up intermittently like this here and causes this issue.i suspect it will need replaced.
Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help if you like.
Thanks Pete