Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet SSR: My roof of my Chevy SSR timeouts and will not

Customer Question

My roof of my Chevy SSR timeouts and will not open at the trunk level. Ergo haven't had the top down for sometime and everybody is afraid to touch it. Ray(###) ###-####thank you
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
The folding top has computer diagnostics. I would definitely have a scan tool attached to it, to see what the computer sees for faults, before doing anything else. It's very likely that a computer scan will point in precisely the right direction on this. I would be hesitant to diagnose this without use of a scan tool, because it would just be guesswork in that case. Lots of useful data, and even the ability to command computer functions, comes from having a good diagnostic tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It really didn't come close to answering my question. I have spent 100 hours + researching this with several dealerships, forums, technitions, shop manuals etc. Not once did they talk on diagnostic tools in fact everything but...
I understand that it's not a complete answer, nor an answer you were looking for. But there are computer diagnostics, and every switch and actuator is monitored by the roof module to make sure things work in the correct order (no damage). If one of those inputs isn't correct or doesn't respond, the roof stops moving, which is exactly where your SSR is. I am very familiar with SSR. I have a customer that owns 2 of them, and I do all of his work. I wouldn't steer you wrong. Have you consulted with your GM dealer? This is something that one of their body control techs should be able to figure out pretty easily.