GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LTZ: Frank,Wife's 2007 suburban LTZ

Customer Question

Frank,
Wife's 2007 suburban LTZ lost AC. Dealer says the rear AC lines are corroded and have to replace and SPLICE the new lines to the old. $1,200 bucks. Any thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry for the long wait
did you ask them if the GM lines are still available or if they are not is that why they need to splice them into place ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary,
As an ace mechanic you should know that the AC lines to the rear of the Suburban are aluminum and are on the outside of the truck, exposed to salt and other road hazards. Since it's a steel body and frame, the aluminum corrodes. My research shows that corrosion of these lines and the loss of coolant is common. I've already found and replaced the aluminum lines with high pressure rubber hoses specifically made for this application and problem. I don't require any additional help. thanks anyway.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
yes i know what they are made of
i was asking why they had to splice in lines as you stated the dealer wanted to do which is what i was questioning