GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Equinox LT: have code b0081 in 07 equinox, replaced

Customer Question

have code b0081 in 07 equinox, replaced pps module and sds module, dealer said got a bad pps module just replaced this am, but when trying to preload with snap on verus it says pps module is locked and needs sps programming whish I did
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Cam. Your programming, you connected to the GM server and loaded the programming into the module using the snap on tool? ( I have not used that tool so I am not familiar with it and its programming functions). This is a different procedure than zeroing the sensor afterwards. It requires a subscription to the programming server through GM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I use snap on pass through pro and laptop for programming, the verus is used for preload same as tech 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After pps program to unlock failed I went to local chevy dealer and they said sds module was bad, we replaced and same problem, took back to dealer and then they told me we had gotten bad pps module, replaced this am and still have problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and yes I have purchased subscription to gm site and ac delco techs on there hotline have said programming showed successful on there end
OK, so that leaves me thinking there 1 of 3 possible issues. First, something in the programming of the PPS failed through the snap on. Second, a voltage issue. The first one, I would recommend get the the dealer to try. The second, voltage, how are you maintaining the voltage on the vehicle while its programming? Third, do you have anything aftermarket installed like a radio or remote starter? If you do, then its possible that the device may be interfering with the network. The Gm modules get a signal on the network to stand by while programming happens. Aftermarket modules don't know to do this and can be active when the should not be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand aftermarket tools can be blamed for some problems, but I have never had a problem programming gm's in the last year and half that purchased equipment, I use a booster box on battery post for battery life, and make sure voltage stays steady, battery had tested bad on vehicle when brought in shop and was replaced, vehicle original problem was short in ign switch causing battery to be dead regulary and customer had been jump starting and charging for a month before bringing to shop, we found bad ign switch, replaced and then air bag light was on, vehicle would not start when first came to shop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no aftermarket accessories on this vehicle either
Your booster box, is it just a battery with cables or is it a charger? If it's a charger, is it a clean charger? I know there have been problems with regular battery chargers that you have quite a variance in voltage when charging. After that, was the data line eliminated from the equation then? I had an issue like this a while ago which required a redundant data line to be run from the data plug to the module itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
box with cables no charger
So lets run a redundant data line and see if that cleans this up.