Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Chevrolet pickup: Hey Joe, (great song) I've got this 94 chevy

Customer Question

Hey Joe, (great song) I've got this 94 chevy 1500 4by4 that has to get smogged. It hesitated on takeoff but never stalled,so I figured that I'd give it a oilchange and replace the distributer and rotor. Why fix something that's not broke? Anyway
I replaced the plug wires in the wrong order... Now the check engine light is on AND for the first few seconds when starting it runs like shit.Seems ok after that except there is no passing power.Also tends to die when slowing down.My feeling is that it won't pass the smog test.Any thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
so,you are saying that now you have the plug wires crossed?do you need the firing order?
please explain
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Tim,
No, I did place the plug wires in the wrong order but quickly realized my error. However now I have some vexing problems. 1: sounds like shit for a few seconds upon starting then settles down. However upon excelleration it bogs down to the point where if I let up on the gas it responds better.AND it now dies when i come to a stop, sometimes.
ok
tell me.does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me and allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Have you confirmed firing order and location that they are 100% correct now and not 2 crossed?
If you have not already done so my suggestion is to replace the spark plugs again gaping to spec as there could be a chance of one being bad (even brand new plugs esp if one were dropped).
Since it got worse after the work you did it's best to double and triple check your work including removing the distributor cap, inspect it and the rotor as they could be damaged.
Confirm fuel pressure around 12-14psi area. (Depending on engine)
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I just wanted to check in with you on how the 1994 chevy 1/2 ton is doing, I noticed you have not replied back so I just wanted to check in and see if you were able to resolve the problem and if not if you would still like further assistance?
Sometimes it's easy to forget about a question on here and thus I will from time to time reply back to customers that may still need further help.
Thanks,
Joe