Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Chevrolet carlo: my 2007 carlo shut down completely.

Customer Question

my 2007 monte carlo shut down completely. All functions locked up. nothing worked. Could not remove key from ignition.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. did it die on you while driving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it died pulling into my garage
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok, for 1 the key will not release until there is power in the car, have you tried to jump start the car? sounds like the battery died.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never tried to jump..never seen dead batteryy cause this problem
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
are you calling me a liar, just kidding, if the alternator stopped charging or the battery simply failed the car will lose power and shut off, without power the solenoid inside the column that locks the steering wheel will not release and allow the key to return to the off position for safety reasons, so try to turn on radio and headlights and press horn, tell me if ANYTHING comes on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing comes on
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok, would it be easier to talk on the phone? i will send you a offer, totally up to you how you want to proceed.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
first thing i would try is to charge the battery or jump start the battery , if power comes on that REALLY narrows the possibilities on where to go next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Lou. I was not questioning your answer about battery. I will get a jump and sees if that works, If not, I'll get back to tjis site tomorrow.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok, if the jump works, drive right to autozone or a shop and have them check the battery (if it stays running) and alternator. or you may have to have it towed , i do not know your mechanical capabilities so forgive me, but to me sounds like the battery or alternator failed, if it is the alternator i personally would also change the battery as once a battery fully dies it doesnt ever seem to work right afterwards. hope this helps. i am here to help, Lou. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Checking back to see if you still need my assistance and if you got the car sorted out ?