K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

1990 S10 pickup 4.3 V6 2wd: 1990 S10 4.3 2wd automatic . Electrical

Customer Question

1990 S10 4.3 2wd automatic . Electrical problems
When the drivers side door is open the radio shuts off. when you honk the horn the lights go dim .
Is it a bad ground somewhere or? I need some clues on where to start...I've redone the ground cables from the engine to the starter and to the car body...
Thanks !
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, on the radio going out you may have speaker wires shorting in the door elbow causing this. If you open the door pull both ends of the rubber conduit out from the body and door and perform a wiggle test and visual inspection to verify.
On the horn and lights dimming; In addition to a ground going from the battery to engine block and sheet metal you need a ground from the engine to sheet metal as well. Also check alternator output at both the positive battery terminal and output terminal of alternator.