Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Chevrolet Malibu LT: 2010 Malibu LT, Traction Control/ECS issues

Customer Question

2010 Malibu LT, Traction Control/ECS issues intermittent since about January 2014; no engine shutdown so far. I know where to locate BCM connector, but have no idea where to look for terminus of either Traction Control or ECS connector. I assume issue needs to be corrected at all connectors. Considering using RadioShack Control/Contact cleaner/lubricant. Advice?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please verify that both terminus connectors need to be addressed and advise where they can be accessed.
Hi
I believe the approach your wanting is not going to be effective. Since it started off as a wet weather issue then its likely to be an external sensor wire harness or connector getting wet and causing resistance. We need to know which codes are stored to start looking at that codes sensor that is flagging. Have you had it scanned?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure we are on the same page and I was quite disappointed in the condescending nature of your reply. Since we both seem to agree that the problem has to do with an external sensor wire harness(es) or connector(s) getting wet and causing resistance, why couldn't you answer my original question(s), which I'll try to restate more concisely here:
1) Which connectors (and their location) in the engine compartment would most likely cause the condition I am experiencing? Any extended fault codes are irrelevant to me at this stage since I would like to attempt a fix by addressing the fretting corrosion issue which, in all probability, has been caused by water/dampness/salt corrosion problems. The main reason the engine compartment in my particular Malibu is more susceptible to these issues is that the engine splash shield was torn off during inclement weather this past winter. An amazingly poor design having the splash shield less than six inches off the ground and attached to a flimsy plastic bumper cover, but that's another issue.
2) Would using RadioShack Control/Contact cleaner/lubricant during the nylon brushing of the connector contacts be an effective chemical solution to the fretting corrosion? Would a generic silicon spray be a sufficient moisture barrier when applied to the reconnected connectors.At this stage, I neither want or need any further information than to have my original/restated questions answered as soon as possible.
I will get you back on the list since your not pleased with my assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I have not heard from you since May 17th, I must assume that you are not interested in providing me with the information I requested without trying to upsell me the "diagrams or guides" information as an "Above and Beyond" additional service offer. Unless my question is answered within the next 12 hours, I have no choice but to assign you a one star rating.