Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Impala: Chevrolet 2002 impala replaced ignition switch car

Customer Question

Chevrolet 2002 impala replaced ignition switch car will not turn over?????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. Why did you replace the ignition switch ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch wouldn't turn on like it was binding??
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so did you replace just the metal cylinder with key? Or the whole plastic switch with the cylinder and key together ?
And thanks for the info that helps me help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lou can you help me ? I have been doing this for thirty five years really stuck ? I replaced the whole plastic and key togrther.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. Yes I absolutely can help. So. As long as you make sure that all the plugs are plugged into the new switch , and when you turn the key all the dash lights come on then you are winning. All you have to do (bear with me ) is turn the key to the run position and leave it there for 12 minutes. Then turn the key off. Turn it back to run for 12 minutes. Then turn it off. Then turn it to the run position for 12 minutes. Then off. Then the car should start. You were on the right track but once the complete ignition is replaced you have to do a full relearn. And why 12 minutes you ask , just to ensure it is the full 10 minutes that is required , you can always do more time. You cannot do less. So for the full relearn it is a total of 30 minutes. But it has to be done as I explained. So put a battery charger on the battery and use a microwave or your phone to set a timer. I will rate to send my "answer" after you let me know how you fared. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Lou I will give it a go in the morning, so the on board computer has to except the change I made, that's why there is no current on the starter wires ?????
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Well typically the car will crank but not send fuel. To be sure it is a theft issue turn the key to the run position and see if the security light flashes at you on the dash. If it does then my relearn will help. If it does not. Then you may need to get another switch. Don't ever take a new part as golden. A new part can always be a bad part. Napa is the only parts store I have SOME faith in. Not az or oriellys or advanced. So take that with a grain of salt. So if all your connections are good you may have a bad switch out of the box. I will not be available all day tomorrow but I will respond when I can. I hope you have good luck with my info. I am truly here to help. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lou I tried the thirty minutes ignition on and off the car will not crank????
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If the car cranked before the switch was replaced you may have a bad switch. Go get another switch and change it all again. You may be working with a failed new switch. It does happen.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Also I am assuming your battery is good , the crank fuse is good and the starter is good. It is always advisable to check the starter solenoid for power when cranking. You could always have a weird coincidence that the starter had failed and will not crank. So keep that in mind. Cars can do crazy things at times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I jumped the solenoid the engine than cranked that tells me the starter and battery is alright , so I decided to remove new ignition switch and replace it with the original switch, the car than started . so that tells me it does not match into the system .
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Great job. There you go. Bad switch. That stinks when you expect a new part to function. Well get a new part and do the 3 relearn and you should be good to go!! Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Just as a reminder I only receive credit when you rate my answers. The deposit you pay does not pay me until I am rated. I called a bad switch from the beginning lol. Happy Mother's Day and also bonuses are GREATLY appreciated if you feel I have deserved one. Take care and of course you can continue with me if you need some follow up help. Rating me does not end our conversation. Enjoy your Sunday. Lou