Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chevrolet Carlo: 02 carlo 3400 engine won't accelerate

Customer Question

02 monte carlo 3400 engine won't accelerate putts only in drive. If I let the car sit for a day everything work fine till engine have been running for 15 minutes
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
This has the classic symptoms of a failing fuel pump loosing pressure and then regaining it. The pump is just a small electric motor and when resistance is high it slows down, in turn lowering the fuel pressure. The pump is in the gas tank and uses gas for its lubricant so if it has ever run out of gas, the pump heats up real quick and develops hot spots on the armature inside which creates high resistance.
This can be confirmed by installing a fuel pressure gauge and see what it is reading when it's acting up or wont start. I cant begin to tell you how many pumps on these cars we have replaced due to this.
note: When its acting up sometimes if you take a rubber hammer and smack the bottom of the gas tank it will loosen the brushes where they make contact with the high resistance and start spinning fast again but only for awhile but you could try that to get you out of a jam if needed.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will change tomorrow and I will get back to you thanks in advance
Sounds ok,
Also be sure to check that pressure first just to confirm.
Check the harness connecter where it plugs into the fuel pump harness and make sure there is no corrosion and has good connection at the ground wire from that harness.