George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Have removed the waterpump without releasing pressure on a

Customer Question

have removed the waterpump without releasing pressure on a 3100 beretta'
v6
now payin the devil to get the belt out of the way to put the replacement pump back in
pump
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Remove the belt, put the waterpump in and then string the belt back on using the tensioner arm pulley bolt to turn the arm back off the belt. YOu are turning the bolt clockwise and that will move the tensioner pulley away from the belt so you can string the belt over the last pulley and release the tensioner bolt to keep pressure on the belt.
Please let me know how I can help you with this
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that doesnt work
tensioner must be turned counter clockwise to relieve tension also absolutely no room to even get to the tensioner bolt
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Have you remove the upper motor mount?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a 1/2 in square stub on the end of the idler arm frame and i can use that to take off some tension but it seems to lock out before loose enough to get belt out of the wayi really do not to remove upper mount is that a must
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You may not have a good tensioner but what year is your car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
94 beretta 3100 v6
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, then you turn the tensioner arm away from the path of the belt, it only takes a little bit to get the tension off and you slip the belt off a pulley. You will not be able to install the waterpump with the belt still on the tensioner. The pump must be installed first.
A belt tension tool that you can "borrow" from your local autoparts store will help you get to the tensioner arm.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/tens.pdf
Copy and paste that link in a new browser tab and let me know if that is clear
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know what I can do to help you with this
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my tool left with a driver to get a chiltonsI have done as you said and will install the pump when it gets here.
if the tensioner wont let me put the belt on can it be taken off and reset?
seems like the spring may have slipped?
is that possible?only in town for today trying to fix my daughters car??????
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If the tensioner will not move far enough to get the belt installed or does not provide enough tension then it must be replaced. To replace you just remove the bolt in the center of the spring at the base of the arm. There is a pin molded into the body that must align with the slot to keep the tensioner from rotating on the bolt.
I added another diagram to the file I linked above, if you do not have two diagrams please reload the file
Let me know how I can help
Thank you