Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Chevrolet Tahoe LT: , I installed a Ready-lift 2.5” leveling

Customer Question

I installed a Ready-lift 2.5” leveling kit on my 2009 Tahoe LT last summer. After some time, I started to get a popping noise from the front left side that I only get after it has been sitting in the garage overnight and backing out of the drive way with the wheels straight or slightly turned to the right. I also get it when backing into a parking space at work after driving for about 15 mins. I don’t hear the sound while driving. I don’t really feel it on the floorboard, either. I have tried moving the steering from left to right before going into reverse and I don’t seem to get that noise.
Have you ever ran into anything like this and know what I could check? I have tried torqueing all bolts again and the noise still happens.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
There is a common problem with the steering gear (rack and pinion) mounting bushing. Since the noise does not appear after steering left and right, this would be an indication that the problem is in this bushing. Replacing the bushing should fix the problem. See picture attached for bushing location. Part number for the mount bushing is 22960484. Another common problem is the body to frame mounting bushings, but you usually feel that in the floor of the vehicle. If you suspect the body mounting bushings, insulators can be installed between the bushing and the body of the truck. These are available through GM parts as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll check that out. Will there be any wear showing if I inspect those areas on the vehicle, or is it only something that can be seen after exposing the part? What is the procedure for replacing the steering gear (rack and pinion) mounting bushing?I don't really recall feeling anything the steering wheel when the noise happens (or will I?), but check for that now since this may be a suspect.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
You may be able to move the rack slightly in the mount bushing, certainly after removing the mount bolt the wear should be evident. To replace the mount bushing, release the boot clamp on the rack on the right side and pull the boot back. Remove the mount bolt and slide the mount and bushing off the end of the rack housing.