BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Blazer: , I changed the motor in a 98 blazer

Customer Question

Hello, I changed the motor in a 98 blazer with a 4.3 vortec. I have checked everything possible on the new motor and nothing is out of place but when I crank the engine it won't turn over. I am getting fuel but I'm not getting any ignition. I metered the ignition system and I am getting 11.9 volts all the way through to the distributor but it isn't getting any spark. Can you help me?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. If the distributor is even slightly off then the computer will shut down the ignition system to protect itself. This is the most common issue I have seen after motor replacement on this vehicle. Do you know if this was done correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im really not sure if it was because the distributor was never taken out of the new motor. We just assumed that it was already in time. The new motor was supposed to have ran before the swap.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Was this a new motor or a used on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Used

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do you have a scan tool that reads engine data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I dont. Should I take it to someone who does?

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
It would be nice to know if there are any codes in the computer. This would help to determine if the distributor is off.