Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2004 Malibu Max 96,000

Customer Question

2004 Malibu Max 96,000 mi. makes a rotating metal rubbing against stationary metal when accelerating or turning left at speeds under 30 mph.

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.I apologize for any delay. The first thing to check here is the brake rotors up front to see if one of them is rubbing on the metal backing plate.This is common as well as a small rock being stuck between the rotor and backing plate itself causing this noise.In allot of cases when turning this applies more pressure on one rotor to the backing plate and if the backing plate is bent or a rock is stuck in between this noise occurs here.The other issues is a failing front wheel bearing.Usually this would be a grumbling noise but in some cases it can make the metal on metal type noise here.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can try and remove the front wheels and push the backing plate further away from the rotor but make sure you don't bend it to much as this can make it worse in some cases.You want to focus on the shield where it is closest to the hub assembly as this is usually where it bends and causes this noise here.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If this is not where this noise is coming from here let me know so we can continue. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a retired industrial mechanic. When I replaced the rotors, I looked for rubbing and any signs of wear. I also checked the wheel bearings and they were tight. The car drives very quiet and smooth at all speeds when I am not turning or accelerating.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you have not had the transmission checked for this noise this should be done.I have seen output shaft bearings in the transmission housing cause this noise here.The axles need checked as well for any issues needing repaired. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete. That is the conclusion that I am gradually coming to myself. The car also makes the noise during gentle braking and when I hit a pot hole or go through a sharp dip in the road.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.With all that has been checked and replaced here already I am leaning more towards an issue with a transmission output shaft bearing myself.I would have this checked further to see if this is the cause here and then repaired from there.If found to be internal in the transmission the transmission will need removed for further inspection and repair.
Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help if you like.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took the car to Wesloh Chevrolet in Carlsbad CA today and found out that it was one of the rear brake pads was down to the metal. It had us all fooled since it sounded like the noise was coming from the front. I feel like a dummy for not checking the rear pads after replacing the front and not getting rid of the noise. They charged me $119 in labor. I stopped by O'Riley and bought Wagner super quiet ceramic pads and new rotors for $117. Hopefully I will have it fixed by tomorrow, if I don't get rained out.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
That is great to hear the fault has been located.If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are a good mechanic Pete but you cost me $119. Can I get my $28 back?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I can send this to customer service for you on this refund.
Thanks Pete