GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet: unknown driver fault. Reading forums it looks like

Customer Question

unknown driver fault. Reading forums it looks like its a splic/jumper inder the dash. Wondering if you can tell me exactly where it's located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I am Cam. Did they specify the network splice or a ground splice? IF the network splice, those are in the big harness that runs up from the data plug.
#3 in the picture is the splice pack.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before we go there, have you delt with this issue before? I want to be sure I'm going down the right path.
I have with others. that splice pack is VERY easy to get to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the forum, it's the class 2 serial data wires at the splice pack connector sp205 (a 12 pin connector under the dash to the left of the BCM ( whatever that is).
Yes, that is the splice I am thinking of. The BCM is directly under the steering column and that trim panel needs to be removed. 2 7mm screws then the top pops out. You will see the Body Control Module (BCM) there. Then to the left of the opening is a large harness and the spice packs are taped int here. See the diagram attached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is it in relation to the brake pedal?
Slightly left and towards the driver. If you follow the purple wire out of the data plug, it wi take you right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry - I'm a handy guy but not an experienced auto mechanic. What/ where is the data plug you are referring too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call me on my cell?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the data plus on the firewall by the relays?
Do you see the plug beside the parking brake release under the dash left side? It's where the scanner plugs into.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup
That is the plug. It had 4 wires. One is purple. Follow that up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the pure wire What's the trick to get access to that area.
It's a pain, I won't lie to you. Taking that panel off I mentioned, then follow it up. Use a knife to carefully expose the wiring and inspect those splices. See if there are any signs of water, corrosion, cut wires, see if anything is installed like a remote starter, security, radio and that sort of thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry - what panel are you referring too?
It's the plastic panel that your knees will hit directly above that plug.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Understand. Have you worked on this problem before? Just wondering if I'm on a wild goose chase or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Symptoms: insert key, display says unknown driver. Power windows, locks, radio eats doae not work. Starts but shuts down in a few seconds.
I have worked on this problem before, but I cannot simply say " do this". to have it shutting down, showing that message and acting as it is usually is a Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash below the steering column or a network issue, which is branched off from the splice pack I was sending you to and where the forum sends you do. the Body Control Module (BCM) controls security, its the power mode master which means it turns on the devices and it remembers the preferences of the drivers. SO we need to expose that wiring to the network and proceed in checking that next.