GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Impala: 2000 Chevy impala change crank sensor but

Customer Question

2000 Chevy impala change crank sensor but the scan tool says cut off fuel is at 4 to
5000 rpm car won't rev up that high start to cut out at 3000 rpm
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitwill it only do this in park and neutral ?driving down the road will it go past 3000 RPM ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You drive and it dies. Starts back up and dies aver5nim .and sometimes an 1 hour .coade is 24x
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
what code numbers are setting ?can you tell me which crank sensor you replaced? the one by the balancer or in the back engine block near the firewall ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's only got one .behind the balançer.it wont let me go over 3000rpm on the conputer safty thing i guess
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok but in drive it will go over 3K ?everytime it dies it s
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.it wont go over 3k .it's a safty thing in the car to provent over reving the engine.you drive down the road and let off the gas and that wen it seems to die. But start back up.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
these cars are supposed to keep the RMP's @ 3K when in park and neutral but NOT in drivein drive it should rev up past 3Kif this is NOT going over 3K when driving in drive can you see if the fuel filter is plugged or restricted ?a fuel pressure test with a test gauge key ON engine OFF ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New fuel pump &fuel filter .new coils .new t.p.s. tune up.redid the heads.the conputer said the crank sensor need to be relearn.code is 24x
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
what code ?what is the code number ?in drive if it will NOT go over 3K remove the back O2 sensor out of the rear exhaust manifold will it then go over 3K when driving it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ineed to rev it over 3k in park .the comp. Said 4kto 5k the fuel cut off will acure.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Understood that you need to rev it, we do need that code number to help assist you.