Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

Chevrolet Impala: Purchased a 2005 impala the engine doesn't

Customer Question

Purchased a 2005 impala the engine doesn't run hot but the temp gauge will go up to 220 degrees or 230 and drop back down when stopped at a light or idle then it would drop back down when driving car never over heats fans kick on low when temp gets to 220 or 230 low speed then when car is parked u can see small bubbles in the recovery tank coming from the recovery tank small hose that leads from the radiator
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Bubbles? unsure of that , could just be a normal air bleed at times. At this time, your engine is 100% running withing the proper temps. These newer engines are designed and computer programmed to run exactly in the range you have, It is not overheating nor close to it, Below is direct form the manual stating how and when the computer controls the tempsThe BCM will request low speed cooling fan operation from the PCM under the following conditions: Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 103�C (217�F).When A/C is requested and the ambient temperature is more than 10�C (50�F).A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kPa (190 psi).After the vehicle is shut off if the engine coolant temperature at key-off is more than 117�C (243�F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.The BCM will request high speed cooling fan operation from the PCM under the following conditions: Engine coolant temperature reaches 110�C (230�F).A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1655 kPa (240 psi).When certain DTCs set.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I first got the car their was a dtc p0171 had a tune up an code cleared an code hasn't returned
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
that is a lean o2 sensor code, nothing to do with engine temp and a common code to kind of set at times when nothing really is wrong,tuneup could have corrected that as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So its normal for the temp gauge to go up at idle then back down on these cars with no over heat problem when I tried to do a pressure test on the cooling system the air went into the recovery tank is that normal
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
yes, everything you stated and symptoms are normal, This engine runs that warm, at idel? no air flow through radiator so temp rises,Driving> it is to drop some as it does,The chart shows the temps, fan oper ation and so on and you fall right into the correct temps for this engine, Sure older cars ran a little cooler, todays engines? they run that high and are NOT overheating, Some air bubbles is a bleeding at times and is normal and no need to worry, Now if engine were to jumpt o 260 + , then you are approcahing overheat, 205-234 is normal running heating range
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked the coolant level in the radiator it wasn't at the top completely but I could see it the recovery tank has coolant in it a tad above the cold mark should I fill the radiator to the top where the cap is or will it be sucked in from the recovery tank
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
normally it transfers from tank to rad and back and forth, It does this only at certain cool down times,.Will not hurt oif you want to top off the rad, and tank can be a little over
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With engine cold can I start the engine with rad cap off an see if any bubbles spew out
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
unsure what you are leaning to, If it is spurting air out the rad with cap off, that can be a normal bleed but,, I am saying 100% it is not running hot nor overheating. I understand your concern but I am not there and can only say the engine tmeps are normal. I would top off coolant, drive it and keep and eye on temps, If they stay where they are>? you are 100% fine, if they jump higher? then time to have looked at, These are not known for headgsaket problems and I really feel you are just fine. Maybe you want to consider a t stat but I really feel you do not need to do anyhing nor worry unless, that tempo jumnps to the 260+ mark