GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Blazer 4x4 (Mid Size): I lost 3rd & OD in my 95 Blazer.

Customer Question

I lost 3rd & OD in my 95 Blazer. Before seeing this sight , I talked to a few wrenches and ended up changing the Shift solenoids with no shifting response to 3-OD. Should I be looking at the 3-2 control solenoid
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Prior to changing the solenoids, what colour was the fluid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fluid was red and clean. I have ruffly 2K miles on it since I changed the fluid/filter/seals. I was driving and with no sign, I suddenly lost OD and 3rd. I pulled over, checked fluid(which was fine) and proceeded home in 2nd.

While changing the two solenoids yesterday, I did find trani fluid within the vacume system. Not pouring out, but enough to question.

Ok, this combination of gears missing rules out a solenoid or anything electronic. The design of the transmission would have you with only 2 and 3 or 1 and 4 if a solenoid failed. Rather missing 3rd and OD means your 3-4 clutch has failed, the piston has failed or one of the seals along the way. I am 99% sure you will need to have internal repairs done to fix your issue. Its very unlikely this is in the valve body.