GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2001 carlo ss and it has a mass air flow code

Customer Question

I have a 2001 monte carlo ss and it has a mass air flow code I have put 3 new ones on it still the same code the car has 76000kms on it. Not sure what to do next.......
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I am Cam. Can you tell me what engine in your Monte Carlo and what code is being set?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3.8 mass air flow code

That is almost always set by not a bad sensor but a plugged catalytic converter. To test, we remove the front oxygen sensor and test the back pressure in the pipe. Anything more than 1psi means its plugged and it will reduce engine air flow setting a code for mass air flow sensor performance.
Please reply back if you need additional help or information regarding this issue. If there is nothing more I can get for you today, then please rate me 5 starts/faces if my answer was helpful. You can reopen/reply to this thread directly to me at any time by replying to it and I will respond as soon as I am able. Please keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers rating 3-5 stars/faces. Be sure to bookmark this page as a favorite (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac) to reply with results or ask more if you need. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.