GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2007 Chevy 4500. Has the 6.6 Duramax in it. Scan tool (3

Customer Question

2007 Chevy 4500. Has the 6.6 Duramax in it. Scan tool (3 different ones) won't link with the ECM. That all power up, but won't read trouble codes. Engine light is on. The truck runs great when cold, but as soon as it's up to temp. it starts to miss.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. I am cam.
Can you tell me what model if scanners you are using? Are they can obd2+?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One is a Pro-link Graphiq with the DDC DDEC 2 & 3 cartridge. Another is a Blue-Point Microscan 3, and the other is a FCAQ Model F3-D
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wrong on the truck model, it's a C5500, but I am also having the same trouble with connecting on a C7500 as well. Do I need a CAN OBD2+ to connect with these trucks?
Sorry for the delay, yes you do. The class 2 or regular OBD 2 are not new enough. You need the CAN OBD 2 + for these high speed networks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well I'll have to get my hands on one. The FCAQ is brand new and cost $2500+. I guess the shop owner should have checked that out first.
Any guess on the why the engine is running like it is? Almost feels like an injector miss, but without knowing the code I am in the dark as much as you.
I am not familiar with that one, let me look it up. Please stand by.
Looking at it, I don't see that it covers the CAN OBD2+ needed for the GM engine.