Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet S10 4x4: My 2000 Chevy S10 4.3l 4x4 with the automatic

Customer Question

My 2000 Chevy S10 4.3l 4x4 with the automatic transmission seems like it shifts to neutral after second gear. It had no prior signs of any problems at all. Went from working fine to nothing after 2nd gear
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry your having this problem
so basically when the transmission is supposed to shift into 3rd gear 3rd gear acts like neutral ?
did this happen out of the blue or was it acting up going into 3rd before this happened or slipped into 3rd ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This just started happening out of the blue. No prior signs of any sort
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shifts smooth from 1st to 2nd gear
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
thank you for that information
the problem you have going on is going to be the 3-4 clutches are worn out or the 3-4 clutch piston seal is torn
the only thing that can cause this issue is one of those 2 problems
this is not a computer problem or electrical problem at all as it is shifting into 3rd gear it is just 3rd gear can not happen due to the 3-4 clutches not being applied to get 3rd gear
I am sorry to say this is a very common issue for these transmissions and it will need to come out and apart to be repaired with a new set of clutches and the 3-4 piston and piston seal inspected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could dirty or plugged screens in the bottom of the tranny make it do this, or a bad vacuum?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
no
that would effect all the gears
and these transmissions use no vacuum to operate
full electronic and the computer is shifting it into 3rd correctly its just physically inside it can not achieve 3rd gear due to the 3-4 clutch failure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't make any noise still even after 2nd gear and doesn't feel like slipping. The fluid doesn't smell burnt. Like new
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
correct
3rd is acting like neutral because the 3-4 clutches are not locking to achieve 3rd gear
i see this issue on these transmissions 4 to 6 times a week