GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2004 Chevy 2500 hd pickup: I have a 2004 duramax and it has

Customer Question

I have a 2004 duramax and it has started taking spells where it is losing fuel in the filter and the engine lite comes on and the fuel gauge quits working. I can turn the engine off pump up the fuel filter and go again sometimes it takes a few tries but will eventually take off
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
When it is running, does it stay running or does it loose the fuel when running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it never quits running but losses power and starts chattering like crazy sometimes it will be doing fine then it takes a spell where I have to get out and pump up the filter start up and try again the most I have had to do this is three times and then it will go on
What is the 8th digit of your VIN? also is it hard to start when you have it hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a 2 which is the more expensive fuel pump lol. its not hard to start when hot it was harder to start in the winter than in past years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to have it scanned but the tech couldn't get it to scan said must be a wire broke?
Did the tool power up? If you pump the plunger until it gets stiff,. does it leak fuel anywhere?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no fuel leaks that I can find The unit didn't come on automatically had to turn on manually
What do you mean it did not come on manually?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't come on by itself like it was getting any power from the truck he had to use the battery in the unit
OK, check the CIGAR fuse in the underhood fuse block.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced that fuse and it didn't change anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was blown
Does it let the tool power up then? And if its loosing fuel then lets check the return rates. Find the 2 fuel lines on the rear drivers side valve cover. Take the smaller one off and attach your hose to the metal pipe coming from the engine. Put the other end into the container and run the engine to fill that line. Then shut it off and remove the IGN 1 relay from beside the starter relay. If the engine will not start at that time, crank it ti fill the line, then empty out the container and keep the line full. Crank the engine for 15 seconds fully and measure the amount of fuel that comes out of that line. Let me know the total please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the tool didn't power up and I will have to get back with ya on the fuel rates im working outa town and wont be around the truck until Friday
No problem. We will get it figured out. Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.