Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech

Chevrolet 2500: I have a 2000 Chevy 3/4 ton full size van with

I have a 2000 Chevy 3/4 ton full size van with a350 and AC.

When the van heats up it starts to lose the power steering until it almost doesn't work. I'm told that if the RPM is brought up he gets some of it back.

We have so far replaced the power steering pump and when that didn't work decided that maybe it could have a collasped line.... I know Chevy has had issues with that on brake lines. We then replaced the high pressure line and we did the belt but have not done the return line. Now our dilema is do we replace the return line or replace the power steering box?

What do you think would be most likely? I should mention that after starting up the van from cold and idling it for 15 - 20 minutes that the power steering fluid was fairly warm, not hot but nice and warm.
Hello, For Sure its the Power steerging unit, the return would be very hot,if it was the issue : Thanks Joey
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you be a little clearer with your answer, are you saying that you believe it will be the power steering box and what would make the return very hot? I'm not sure if our line would get very hot if we were to drive it for awhile instead of just idling it for 15 - 20 minutes.

Ok, The return line has no pressure to speak of,thats why its 1 in a millioin for that to be a issue at all,only thing that happens to it is it might leak fluid over many years of service.......
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So then your saying it is probably the power steering box, and not a faulty aftermarket pump?

Hi. Correct.....Whats the odds of 2 pumps doing the exact same thing. as well as a bad pump makes a loud whine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for the help, it is appreciated. I will order a new power steering box in.

Hi, Thanks Please Hit the rate my answer as thats how i get paid,if you need more help just ask, take care