Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

Chevrolet Impala LT: 2009 Impala...had both climate control

2009 Impala...had both climate control actuators changed, still get loud clicking from behind dash. What's wrong?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 months ago.

Randall :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.What 2 actuators? and do you have dual climate control, one for driver, one for passenger?

Customer:

Yes.

Randall :

I still need to know what actuators were changed. Thanks

Customer:

I'm mechanically challenged at age 78. No GM dealer in my town, nearest one about 50 miles away. Ford dealer mechanics claim they changed two actuators, one for passenger side and one for driver's side. Charged me $367.62. Still under guarantee of work but I want to know more about what might be wrong before I take it back to them to re-do the work.

Randall :

Well, the thing is you have 4 actuators, 1 each for driver and passenger but alos a recirculation as well as mode door actuator, It may be very possible it is not the temp actuators changed already but rather one of the other 2. Most common is the mode door actuator and the clicking is either the actuator trying to center itself or the small plastic gear inside may be stripped and it is skipping as it passes that bad gear spot and thus the clicking, I am sorry they are so far away from you but they need to listen,feel each of the other 2 actuators

Customer:

what is the name of the first two actuators you describe: one for the driver side and one for the passenger side? (not the recirculator or mode)

Randall :

4 actuators : 1 blend door actuator for driver, 1 blend door actuator for passenger, 1 mode door actuator ( changes vents, defrost floor etc) and 1 recirculation actuator ( inside air or outside air)...these are the formal names/description

Customer:

Thank you, Randall. Unless I can get the Ford dealer to compensate me for perhaps "fixing" the incorrect actuator, I think I'll be best served by taking my car to the nearest GM dealer in Phoenix.

Randall :

be advised. I know it is a lter model car but not just dealers deal with this, Local shops do as well. I am in local shop and we do actuator work all the time on varuious makes and models

Customer:

So what advice do you have if I go back to Ford, or perhaps seek another private mechanic? How can I, or should I, have a better chance of getting the actual faulty culprit fixed this time?Appreciate your opinion. I've had mostly GM vehicles in the last 30 years but our dealer locally closed up shop after the GM bankruptcy proceeding.

Randall :

how did the repair go? did you drop off saying locate and fix the clicking sound or something else, Basically, what led up to and during the repair.

Customer:

I was returning from a doctor's visit in Phoenix (I live in Wickenburg, AZ) and the clicking began with the A/C on. I could interrupt it by pushing the temp control half-way up to hot but that shut off the cooling. The mechanic's bill says only that they replaced the actuators and he told me they controlled the vanes or doors. Could that have been correct?

Randall :

actuators do control "doors" the actuator opens and closes the doors in the heater/AC case. It still is possible by turning up temp, could affect one of the other actuators. If it were me? I would have a local shop listen to it, locate the click and if it is one already changed? back to Ford, if it another actuator NOT changed? let them give a quote then decide if return to Ford or have local shop fix, Just a bit hard from my end as not there listening. It can be one of 4 actuators

Customer:

OK. Thanks again for the advice. Having dealt only with the GM dealer all these years, I guess I'll need to get some recommendations for local mechanics from my friends and go from there. Thanks, Randall.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist