Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4: My 2003 Chevy Tahoe with the Vortex flex

My 2003 Chevy Tahoe with the Vortex flex fuel 5.3L has begun to "Engine Power Down" the last two days. It has done it 5 times ranging from 5 miles traveled at 30 mph to 65 to as much as 100 miles before powering down. I have pulled over and shut down the engine then restarting it after waiting one to five minutes, it apparently reset and we have drove on. The vehicle has nearly 300,000 miles, uses less than a quart of oil between oil changes, it has been a very well running vehicle for us. Of recent some of the gages on the dash board have begun to stop working, not all at the same time, initially the tack, then oil pressure, alternator and of recent the fuel gauge has been unreliable. The check engine line has been on occationally for the last several month. I change the temp sensor in the block with a new one yesterday after the initial engine power down, but it still has shut down three times since. What do you recommend?
please explain what you mean when you say the engine powers down..
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the reading that appears on the dash read out. It typically indicates this when the engine water cooling system over heats, but I have no over heating occuring, the water pump is not leaking or failing in any manor and the engine is not over heated at any time. When the engine goes to the "engine power down" the vehicle cut down to less than 15% of it power so you speed drops according. This a design GM uses to get you off the road safely at a random firing of less cylinders, which is great, unless there is a sensor that is generating a false indication which is my suspision.

ok
this sounds as if you are getting reduced power ..
this may be an easy fix,,,remove the intake air duct from the throttle boddy and clean the inside of the throttle body with carb cleaner,,these will get dirty with black soot and cause this problem
thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help