Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet corvette stingray crossover: I have a 82 corvette

I have a 82 corvette stingray and need to replace the speedometer is there and easy to get to the cable ends, I have tried but my hands a large.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

are you reaching up from behind under the drivers side of the dash to release it ?

or the cluster is loose and pulled back enough to get your hand behind the cluster to release it ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The speedometer is in 2 parts my problem is from the trany into the little box before it goes into the dash.

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

where is this little box?

im showing this cable one shot from the transmission to the back of the dash cluster

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

By the left fender

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

ok the cable will not unscrew off of it from the transmission side ?

does it look something like this even if its black colored ?

SPEEDOMETER GEAR REDUCER STEWART WARNER SS454 LS6 Z28 CHEVELLE LS5 396

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

First off I told you it was a corvette crossover I mean crossfire. Yes that is similar. The cable will unscrew from the trany but it is real tight.

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Ok a lot of times they are corroded and are very hard to unscrew off usually using a pair of slip channel like pliers to grab the outer ring will unscrew it off

also at one time someone could have cross threaded the threads which would make it very hard to come off

using some WD40 or spray lube and working it with channel lock slip pliers will un screw it off

once both ends are unscrewed the cable should pop right off

before you install the new cable get a good look at the threads and make sure they are NOT cross threaded if they are the cross threaded parts will have to be replaced

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK but everything is so tight in there I can't get a pliers in there and if I have to replace it how do I get it off?

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

you cant angle in a pair of slip channel lock pliers on it ?

now just to be sure the cable end on the box is the issue getting off ? or at the transmission ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok if we find that it has been cross threaded how do we get the little gray box off.

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

it should unbolt out of that area

is this what it looks like here ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the picture will not enlarge so I can not get a good look at it

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Kathy if that is cross threaded it will need to be changed it is called Vehicle Speed Sensor/Transducer for the Cruise Control

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK do I need to take it to someone because we can not get tools and hands in there to remove it.

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.
Kathy if you can get it loose any shop will loosen it for you very cheap
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech