Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

chevy Lumina: The car is hard to start but does start. When

The car is hard to start but does start. When it does, it sounds like there is no oil around the lifters until it runs a short time then quiets down. This car ran good at first. Everything was ok . All at once it sounded as if there was no oil and you got all the clatter. If you start I right away it starts ok. If it sit for 5 hours it is hard to start but it does start. The mechanic
ran some stuff through the oil and it did get better. It just does not seem to keep oil in the head for when you start it. This is a 2000 chevy Lumina.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

will the oil light come on or stay on ?

did this problem start out of the blue ?

or slowly gotten worse ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

eng light stays on

all at once

Ok Douglas with that noise you are hearing the odds are either we have a low oil pressure issue or the lifters are bleeding down the oil prime in them when it sits

when this happens it will take longer to start and start hard as the lifters need to pump back up with oil

the best action to take is to have a mechanical oil gauge connected to the engine and make sure the oil PSI is within spec if its not there is more than likely an oil pump failure

if the oil PSI is good then the odds are the lifters are bad and will need to be replaced

is seems the shop that added the oil stuff it make it better which the oil stuff will make the lifters pump back up and hold oil prime better