ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic

Chevrolet Trailblazer: I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and I can not get the blower motor to work. I have changed out the resistor, fan and the connector with no luck. I checked my grounds and there good, I have no blown fuses so now I'm lost of what to do next, can you help.
Thanks,
Phil
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Can you do electrical testing?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I took it to a shop and they said everything tested good

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
I do not know how everything can test good and the blower still does not work so it appears they do not know what they are doing or at the very least they missed something. So I am suspecting you can not do testing?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have a meter but not one of those light sticks.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Ok is this a auto system or is everything all manual?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Manual

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Ok great, can you unplug the blower motor and test to see if there is voltage on the purple wire with the blower switch set to HI. Let me know the results. If there is voltage plug the blower back in and then back probe the connector and see if there is still voltage on the purple wire.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No voltage on the wire

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Ok at the blower resister unplug it and check the Red wire for voltage.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have voltage on the red wire

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Ok now with the blower on high, see if the orange wire to the resister has voltage, with the resister unplugged.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It has voltage on it

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Ok plug the resister back in and see if the orange wire still is showing voltage, also I am wonder how much voltage these are showing?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I'm reading 12V-12.4V somewhere in there every time. That is crazy though, when plugged in nothing. I unplug it and get 12V again.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Ok great, we are getting close, there is a fuse under the left rear seat, fuse 44 HVAC fuse can you check the voltage on at? with everything plugged in.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It didn't read any voltage.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Ok, this whole situation with it having power when disconnected and no voltage when connected is a bad connection issue/bad circuit issue, that fuse gets its power from the ignition switch so I am thinking the ignition switch is bad or the connection at the ignition switch has a bad connection. To be 100% sure you need to check the orange wire to the ignition switch and see if it has voltage on it, if it does not disconnect the ignition switch and look at the connections to see if they look corroded at all, if they do not the switch is most likely bad. If the orange wire at the ignition switch does have power i would be suspecting a issue with the orange wire near that rear fuse box or within the fuse box itself. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience: 28 year experience, Master Mechanic
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Its getting late here so I need to go to bed, if you still need help I will be back on tomorrow so please feel free to ask, thanks.
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

You were right, it was the wire under the rear fuse box. Think I will go have a nice chat with that shop tomorrow. Thanks again for the help, I just wish I would have used this site in the first place.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 8 months ago.
Great, I am glad you found the problem, thanks for the rating.