Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Malibu: Hello, How can I remove the flex plate from

Hello, How can I remove the flex plate from a 3.1 Chevy Malibu engine that is seized?

Is anyone there?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

these are very tricky when the engine will not turn over to get the convertor bolts out

you have 1 of 2 choices

1) pull the engine with the convertor still attached to the flex plate

2)remove the oil pan and loosen rod and main caps until it will move for you

I personally will drop the engine right out the bottom with the transmission still connected to the engine right out the bottom with the sub frame still attached then pull the engine off the transmission with the torque convertor still on the flex plate and then remove the 3 convertor bolts with a 15 MIL wrench

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Gary, thanks....I may have bit off more than I want to chew now. The engine crankcase was mistakenly filled with 5 gallons on water and then the person started the engine, now it is locked. I just put the car in my garage, but from the sounds of my choices, I need a lift.

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

its your best bet Will

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

One last question I think, if I pulled off the heads, is it possible to free the engine or do you think the problem lies within the crankcase?

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
that's hard to tell but the odds are its frozen up a the crank shaft area
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I'm back to the first choice of pulling the engine with the converter still attached....is there enough room to pull that from the top?

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

if you pull off the front harmonic balancer and shoe horn it out yes it will come out its just very tight

and before you install the new engine make SURE the convertor is put in the transmission all the way in by hand as far as it will go do NOT install the engine with the convertor on the flex plate

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I think I'm going to try that first as I have started removing components in the garage. If you say I can remove it that way, I am willing to try as I have already started.

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

it will show horn out

its really tight but some finagling they will come out as long as the front crank shaft balancer is off the engine

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Gary...off to the garage I go!

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Any time Will

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech