Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

Chevrolet Equinox: I am working on my friends 2005 Chevrolet

I am working on my friend's 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. She was told by a mechanic that her fuel pump code came up on a CEL. I don't have the code number. But don't those codes cover several possible causes? Would it be advisable to change the filter first? If so, where is it located? I was told that the pump is located in the fuel tank?

good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

First, I would check the fuel pressure. you can rent a tester at a parts store.

the filter would be a good start but lets confirm the pump failure before replacing.

does the car run???

it would help with the code number as codes never identify bad parts, just failed systems.

yes the pump is inside the tank

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The car stopped while my God daughter was getting gas. Where is the filter located again? Also, I know the pump is inside the tank. But is it accessible through hatch compartment?

filter is under the car back by the tank. the tank must be dropped to access the tank..

check the pressure first. make sure all fuses are good as well. use a test light to check for power on both sides.