Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet Malibu: Need to know what runs into ground distribution

Customer Question

Need to know what runs into ground distribution cell #14 on a 2000 chevy malibu 3.1l engine.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. I'm having a tuff time finding Cell#14 in wire diagrams. Are you looking at a wire diagram or what are you trying to figure out? Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it is the ground splice block bolted to the belhousing by the front tranny mount. I have diagnosed so far that I have a bad ground going to the mass air flow sensor. code p0102. my chiltons book diagram says that mass airflow goes into splice block as well as engine oil level switch which oil light comes on intermittantly. but there are about 8 black wires coming into this ground splice ?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
So your trying to figure out where the main gorund is for mass airflow sensor?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no. trying to figure out besides the mass airflow, engine oil level sensor what else goes into this ground splice block?? I have other electrical issues on this car this block may be the problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Ok, I understand now. Here is a wire diagram that shows what all that ground is for. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks Brian.

-

https://db.tt/9vN9j3cl

-

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how can i tell if the splice block is working?? can it be replaced? dealer item?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

With engine running you can probe each black wire then put one voltmeter lead on black wire and one voltmeter lead on battery positive. It should show the same voltage as battery, if not ground is bad. You could just get a big metal connector that will fit all wires in it. Solder wires into connector then ground connector but you should be able to buy new splice pack from dealership if that is the route you prefer. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

dan ok i am doing some checks. the brown wire on the oil level sending sensor at pan what voltage should that be? I show it running directly into the computer.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

There should be no voltage on it. This wire gets grounded by switch and then when computer detects ground it knows oil pressure is good. Let me know what some of the other problems your having are and maybe I can help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

with key on had 11.33 volts?? well got code p0102 replaced the mass air flow about 5 months ago had same code replaced with pig tail as well. found the ground wire had some positive interference in it cut it at that ground pack and routed new ground wire for mass airflow. occaisionally the oil level light comes on and check engine oil light intermittent as well. cruise control has been not working for a while too. have mucho electrical trouble.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
That ground has nothing to do with cruise control but could be cause of oil light to come on. You can unplug oil level switch and jump wires together. If light still comes on it is a bad ground, if light stays off then the switch is bad.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

key on i was getting 11.33 volts to that brown wire on oil level sensor at oil pan?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
That is good, it should be between 10-12v. I was wrong the first time, but just looked in manual and it should have voltage. Sorry about that, let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I replaced the engine oil switch since it was inexpensive both lights still coming on intermittent. that is engine oil level and check engine oil?? very weird. been like that for a while think if i had a real engine problem it would have blown up by now.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
Is the low oil indicator and low oil pressure indicator the same light? I think it is but I'd like you to tell me for sure.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They are different on looks like a red oil can and the other is an orange light that says check engine oil

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Which one are you seeing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

they both come on intermittent. but the check engine oil some time stays on

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Here is a picture of all grounds, I'd go through and check whatever ones you can find. Sounds like you could have some other ground issues. https://db.tt/dataZ58X

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

can u guide me for those 2?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.
I would start with the main grounds that are on the engine and on the battery. If you already cleaned the one ground then problem is where battery grounds to frame or where engine grounds to frame. To know for sure it is a ground problem you would want to monitor ground on wire going to oil level sensor to see if it drops when the warning comes on. To do that you would run one wire from battery and one wire from oil level switch so you can monitor them while driving. Then if voltage drops while monitoring the 2 wires this verifies it is a ground problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ground to frame? how many on the car?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Ground 104 is a main ground which I'd start by cleaning. I didn't realize last diagram didn't include pictures, here is a different diagram.

-

https://db.tt/IRdPQiET