Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Chevrolet K1500 4x4: 1998 k1500 5.0 L Not starting I believe

1998 k1500 5.0 L Not starting I believe it is the fuel pump.

What should I check before replacing the fuel pump? Fuses /relays? were can I locate these?

If I need to replace the fuel pump is it easier to pull the bed off to access the pump or drop the tank off?

The pump was making noise before the truck stopped running.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. Check to see if it runs on starting fluid. If so, this means problem is fuel related. Then replace filter and relay, if that doesn't help replace pump. Dropping the tank is much easier, here are replacement instructions for pump and picture if filter/relay. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had my wife turn the ignition on and I tapped the fuel tank with a rubber mallet and it started. It is the pump.

What brand of fuel pump do you advise to purchase? They are priced on line between about $100 to $400.

AC Delco which is a OEM pump is always the best way to go but any pump should be fine. I have not seen a lot of problems with aftermarket pumps on these engines. Delphi which I believe is made by same factory as AC Delco is a good brand, here is one on ebay for cheap.