Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician

Chevrolet Silverado 3500: I have a 2007 chevy duramax 3500

I have a 2007 chevy duramax 3500 the rear tank seems to not be transferring fuel. Scan tool shows 1.69v front sending unit and 3/4 of a tank. Rear sending unit voltage shows 0.00v. checked and we do have 5v ref at rear sending unit. How does it work what may be wrong

Welcome to Just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

Do you have a dvom to read resistance across the level sensor terminals in the pins where the light blue and tan/black wires would go?? Also do you have any fault codes stored in any vehicle module? A level sensor fault code can shut down the transfer pump. Also, have you removed the sending unit and verified the fuel level?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have verified full fuel level. There are no fault codes in any of the modules. the resistance of the level sensor is 1.4 k ohms which is almost open and incorrect for level. Is that correct?

It should be between 40 ohms and 250 ohms. 1.4k is way over. Remove the tank unit and inspect the level sensor. I'm betting you're going to find the "fingers" that are supposed to be there to contact the level sensor card missing. The level sensor is available separately from the tank meter. Just make sure even if you are not showing any that you clear fault codes from the ecm after replacing the tank meter. That will allow the ecm to re-evaluate each fuel tank and decide if it needs to transfer fuel.

Also, make sure the vehicle is fueled with the key off.