Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

I have a 1983 camaro 5.0 engine , this has a edelbrock 600

I have a 1983 camaro 5.0 engine , this has a edelbrock 600 cfm carb on it , gas milage is poor about 13 mpg , would a quadra jet carb work better , i have been told the jets are smaller, or what else could I do to improve milage . thanks Joe
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 8 months ago.

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

the q-jet carb isnt smaller.they are 600-700cfm,,they do have smaller front butterflies....as long as the car runs well,i dont think a carb swap will help you....

if the car doesnt run well,,tune it up and make sure the time is set right...

13mpg really isnt to bad for this car with a carb,,the 85 up only get around 16mpg with fuel injection

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok seems as you and I have come up about the same, so would it meybe be better to replace this 305 with a 350 ? could this be a better choice to improve the mpg, also this car has the 700 trans in it, could there be something that could doon with this .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok I already had this answer, so I didnot ask the question as I should have , What can I do to improve the mpg on this car, would a 350 engine help , or maybe different heads, the 700R trans seems ok , but could it be recallculated, how about a better ingnition system like maybe a msd or mallery , and can you think of anything else . Thank you for your time Joe.

hi joe
not much can be done here..the 700r4 is mechanical,if it has all gears there is nothing you can do to it ...a 350ci.i wouldnt think would help the milage..all you can do is to make sure what you have is well tuned....make sure the timing is right and the carb is right...it is what it is,,,you may be able to get 15mpg with a tune up,,
thanks