Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.
4232346

Chevrolet venture: Im looking to flush my coolant in my 2002

I'm looking to flush my coolant in my 2002 venture. The flush kit I have has a tee to splice into the heater core intake tube. How do I locate this and is there a better way to flush the coolant?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 11 months ago.
Do you have rear heat in this van?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes I do

Below is a diagram of the heater core inlet hose. The hose comes out of the engine from under the intake manifold and goes to the heater core. There are a lot of heater hoses back there due to the rear heat so I would not use them. Its also very hard to get to the hoses. The best way to flush this system is to use the radiator hoses. Open the radiator cap with the system cold and try and remove some if the coolant, then poor the flush in to the radiator and run the engine as the directions tell you on the flush kit. After running the engine, turn it off and let it cool off. Now remove the lower radiator hose and let the coolant drain in to a drain pan. On the passenger side front of the engine on the top, you will see a water pump bypass hose, its a rubber hose in a 90 deg turn. Remove this hose and use a garden hose to push water thru the system and try to get out as much coolant as possible and then reinstall the hoses and add your coolant.

Here is the heater core inlet hose. Its number 1.

Object ID: 395311

Here is the 90 deg hose on the top of the engine.

Object ID: 187083
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Which side of where the bypass hose connects should i put the garden hose?

Also, since this is being done with the engine off, will the hose flush everything or will some coolant remain. One concern I have (besides wanting to get as much of the old out as possible) is the flush solution i have is meant to be run through the system with water not coolant.

What do you think about temporarily hooking up two small hoses to each end of where the bypass hose connects and connecting the the two hoses with the tee. Would I be able to flush the system while the car is running with such a setup?

You can cut the bypass hose and install the tee there, I would not leave the tee installed after you are done, replace the hose. This will keep the tee from causing a leak later when the plastic starts to crack. Using the tee, water will flow in both directions which is what you want. Its not a good idea to do this with the engine running, the cold water may damage the engine if its pushed in to a hot engine block. If you do this, let the water come out of the radiator cap and not the lower hose(with the engine running). Even if you do this with the engine running, its unlikely you will get out all the flush so you may want to flush it with the water, run the engine and flush it again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So is it not a good idea to do it while running the engine because I'm not connecting the tee to the heater core inlet hose, or are you saying you think the flush kits instructions to run the water from the hose while the engine is running is a bad idea in general?

I have never run the engine during a flush, not sure what would happen but if the directions on the coolant flush kit tells you to do this then it must be ok to do so. The 90 deg hose is the goes to the heater core inlet, it goes under the intake and comes out at the rear of the engine to the heater core inlet so installing the tee in this position would do the same as if you installed it near the heater core.
I just have never used these types of flush kits so not sure if the engine should be running, if there directions tell you to run the engine then thats what I would do.
Experience: ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.