ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech ,chev dealer tech

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD: Back to my 2001 Chevy Silverado

Back to my 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD,XXXXX automatic, 8.1 Engine with 82000 miles on it. Last night the truck suddenly died on me at traffic light. It gave me no warning whatsoever. I mean usually a vehicle starts running rough or something this time I had no warning. I could not get it restarted at all. The check engine light did not come on at all. I called a Tow truck. 45 minutes or so later when the tow truck arrived I decided to try starting it again just before loading the truck on the tow truck. Well this time it started up and seemed to be running fine. I was about 30 miles from home and did not want to chance it dying on me again so I just went ahead and had it towed home.

My question is do you have any idea what the problem could be or where I could start looking for a problem. I checked the fuel pressure and it is 50 psi. I understand the pressure should be between 55 and 62 psi. could the fuel pump be failing? Could this be why the truck died? if the fuel pump is failing why did it start up after letting it sit? I hate to drop the tank and go thru all that work if the fuel pump is okay.

Hi, glad to be of help. It does sound like you have a fuel pump problem, however a fuel related problem will usually chug like not getting fuel shortly before dieing and a ignition module,crank sensor or ignition switch will simply quit without warning. Being that you only have 50psi, key on engine off, you definitely need a fuel pump. Replace your fuel pump & fuel filter. I would start there. I have had the same thing happen to me where it works sometimes after sitting awhile and may go for days before it happens again. Check your fuel lines and hoses for cracks, rust or corrossion, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is the fuel pump is failing. Check to make sure you are getting a full 12 volts to pump and check to make sure battery is in good condition and fully charged.

Thank you for your excellent feedback. Thank you for using just answer.

It would be easier to drop the tank than to remove truck bed but that's up to you.

Here are some videos that show how to do both. It also shows where the hidden bolts are on truck bed removal.

Video-Fuel pump replace

Video-Truck bed removal

Forum link Read last line.