Joel
Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.

Chevrolet cobalt: I have a 2006 chevy cobalt. It is not shifting

I have a 2006 chevy cobalt. It is not shifting properly when I start out. This does not happen all the time, but it happens far too often. I have had it at two separate mechanics. At one place they replaced the gasket and at the other they did a transmission flush. Neither worked. There are no codes that come up??? Someone suggested the computer is not telling the transmission to shift...not sure what to do next as the bills continue to pile up without the problem being solved....help me please
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joel replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for requesting me to help. I will do my best.
How many miles on your Cobalt?
Are there ANY warning lights on the dash?
Can you explain a little more about how it shifts badly?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

100,000 km on the car. There are NO warning lights and they have run the computer checks. When the car starts out and we are slowly accelerating the RPM continue to climb until I take my foot off of the gas pedal. If it does shift before this, it is an abrupt shift and does not occur until at least the 4 mark. At times it does not do this at all, but more often than not this is what it does.

Expert:  Joel replied 8 months ago.
OK. When the problem happens, does it matter if the car is warmed up or not? Does outside air temperature have anything to do with it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No, this does not make a difference

Expert:  Joel replied 8 months ago.
OK. Well, this is an internal transmission problem. Most likely a sticking valve in what is called the "Valve body". The valve body contains many valves that control shift points, pressure, shift timing and feel. That fact that is does not happen all the time says to me it is not electrical, but an actual valve sticking.

Sometimes a trans fluid flush will help, but not always. A better service is to have a trans cleaner fluid added, let the trans get hot, then flush the fluid. This can help remove any varnish or foreign materials that may be causing a valve to stick.

The only other option is to have the transmission removed, disassembled and diagnosed. Probably not what you want to hear, but this seems to be the case.
Joel, Auto technician
Experience: GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.