Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet Cavalier: Hello, took my 99 Chevy cavalier into

Hello, took my 99' Chevy cavalier into the shop today for an oil change. When I left I noticed the speedometer doesn't work at all. Check engine light also came on as well. Took it back to them and they claimed that there code reader was showing the check engine light came on previously for a speedometer issue. They also claimed they washed under the hood to wash away excess oil, to prevent a burning smell when the engine heats up. Due to that they said water could have gotten into the wiring, shorting it out. They then also claimed a pot-hole in the road could be the cause. It sounds like they're giving me the run around. They claim they can fix it for 200. I however think it should be their cost due to the fact it worked fine before I took it in and afterward it doesn't now.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. I agree with you it sounds like they caused the problem by washing under hood which is almost always a bad decision. What engine do you have? Automatic or manual transmission? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an automatic.

Does it seem to be shifting fine? What size engine? Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shifting fine as usual. I think 2.2l, whatever is standard...

Was the check engine light ever on before this? Any chance you know the code number? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope never was on until after this. I don't know the code, all the shop stated was that it was cause by the speedometer. The claimed they will change the wire for 200, and they aren't sure if it will fix the issue or not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope never was on until after this. I don't know the code, all the shop stated was that it was cause by the speedometer. The claimed they will change the wire for 200, and they aren't sure if it will fix the issue or not. They also claimed that this code possibly came on before the oil change. But the check engine light never came on.

Will you drive to parts store tomorrow and have them connect a scan tool to read codes? They do this for free, then I can have you check out a few parts and clan some connectors.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I unfortunately am unable to get there tomorrow... More or less I was just trying to figure out if I have a case on getting them to do the work for free, seeing as they obviously caused it in some way.

With getting them to work on it for free there is no way you can force it, you could simple say "the check engine light was not on and the speedometer worked before I brought vehicle to shop. I think it would be fair for you to repair problem for free unless a component has failed but I was told it is probably a connection" You could also threaten to sue but at that point it its going to be a hassle. But if you say the previous thing most fair shops will fix the problem for free. If you have more questions or would like a few connections to check yourself let me know but having codes checked would help a lot. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks Tim.