Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

My 97 blazer will shift from park to any gear i wish but will

My 97 blazer will shift from park to any gear i wish but will not shift back up, it gets stuck until I shut the vehicle off and climb under it and move the linkage back to park. any ideas on what might cause this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

if you watch the shift cable under the truck at the side of the transmission it pulls the cable to shift out of park and down through the gears once its shifted into drive and the drivers try's to shift it back into park do you see the cable buckle when it tried to push the arm back into park ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The cable does not move at all once it's in gear. The shifter itself moves back up the gears but the cable sits still.

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
ok this is a floor or column shift ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Floor

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

ok what has more than likely happened is the outer part of the shift cable has become unlocked from the bracket

can you pop up the floor shifter plastic so you can see in and when shifting see if the cable has popped out of the metal bracket

you should see the back get really loose when it will not shift the transmission back

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Dennis if you see it popped out try to snap it back in if you see the plastic bending when you try to shift it its going to need a new shift cable and if it will not snap lock back into the metal bracket the lock is broken and it will need a new cable installed
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Nothing appears to be broken or loose when I shift back towards park. The only thing I noticed was I could not get the shifter to go all the way down the column.

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

this is a column shifter?

if you pop off the shift cable off the transmission lever will the cable visually move all the way one way and the other when not attached to the transmission ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, no it is not a column shifter. I do not know how to pop off the shift cable. Sorry this is a whole new area for me. I'm use to be under the hood. lol

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

if you get under the drivers side of the transmission where the shift cable connects to the metal rod off the side of the transmission it will pop off with a screw driver

if you can shift it by hand under the truck right at the transmission by hand then our problems going to the shift cable

to confirm this if you pop it off the bottom and then pop it off the shifter and the transmission will shift by hand and the floor shifter will operate just fine without the cable connected at each end then 100% the cable is bad there is nothing else it can be

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I did not pop it off at the shifter but I did from underneath. I was able to shift it by hand and the cable itself was very brittle and looks as if it is about to break in half. So I'm guessing that is for sure the problem?

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
yes the cable is bad Dennis
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you very much Gary. Your help was very much appreciated.

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

anytime

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech