C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

Chevrolet P30: how do I remove the rear brake rotors on a Chevrolet

how do I remove the rear brake rotors on a Chevrolet P30 step van?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.
good afternoon my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

they should be fall offs, but there are times that they seize. soak them down with PB blaster and we use a 8 lb sledge to get them to release. if you dont feel comfy with that, remove the hub with the rotor and get it on the floor and try again. I dont recommend heating with a torch as I have damaged the hub landing from all the heat.

the last resort is to cut the area that is on the hub and fracture the rotor.

Roy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Roy,

is the bearing hub one piece (inner and outer bearing)? if so shouldn't I be able to put it in a press and push the hub thru the rotor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know if it is ok to press the P30 rear disc rotor off the hub. It looks like you should be able to press the bearing hub from the rear bearing side which should remove the rotor. Is this the case?
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for trusting us with your problem, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Did you get the caliper off? Also there should be a nut in the center on these. Did you remove the nut? If you have done both it has to come off. They do get almost welded on so a press would work mint if you have one of them. If not you have to pound it hard with a sledge you can also heat it up in between poundings but this is not needed if you have a press handy.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes we have the caliper off and have removed the hub with the rotor still in place.

will the hub press out from the back of the rotor?

If so I have a press and will try that while shocking with a hammer.

thanks.

The rotor will press off the hub. It should do the trick with the press. These just get stuck so badly it is a pain.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

C.W.

the press did the trick. I just learned that folks that work in buses, pull the axle and use it as a ram to drive out the studs. Problem is it ruins the studs.

Once the studs are out the hub falls out!

thanks.

LP

Yes that is a truck you can use.

You are welcome, if you need anything let me know. Remember to rate.

Thanks

CW
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience: Shop training and experience.