Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS: Hello I have a 2008 Chevy suburban

Hello I have a 2008 Chevy suburban 2500. I need to know the location of the right front seat position sensor.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Unfortunately, the repair manual only shows the Driver's seat, however, the Passenger's seat should be a mirror opposite. So, the Seat Position Sensor should be on the left side of the seat (while sitting in the seat), just below and forward of the seat belt assembly. Here's a view of the driver's seat. Passenger's side is the mirror:
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

So I removed the right side seat for a better view and I do not see any sensor on it. I ordered a 15267756 it looks like what is in the pic you sent. but I do not see it on the act seat. vin # XXXXX

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.
Ahhhh. I see the problem. On this vehicle, there is no Position Sensor for the "right". It's listing as "left" only.

Inflatable Restraint Seat Position Sensor (SPS)

The seat position sensor (SPS) is used to determine the proximity of a front driver position with respect to the frontal air bag. The SPS interfaces with the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM). The state of the SPS allows the SDM to disable stage 2 of the frontal air bag for a front seat that is forward of a forward/rearward point in seat track travel. The SPS is a Hall effect sensor that is mounted on the outboard seat track of the driver seat. The seat track includes a metal bracket that shunts the SPS magnetic circuit creating two states of seat position. The shunted state represents a rearward seat position. The non-shunted state represents a forward position. The SPS provides 2 current ranges, one range for the shunted state and a second range for a non-shunted state. These 2 states are inputs to the SDM. State 1 (shunted) being the rearward threshold and state 2 (non-shunted) being the forward threshold. When the SDM receives input from a SPS that state 1 threshold is reached (seat is rearward) the SDM will not disable stage 2 deployment, if required by the deployment sensors. When state 2 threshold is reached (seat is forward) the SDM will disable stage 2 deployment on the side the seat is forward. The SDM monitors the SPS circuit and if a fault is detected the SDM will set code B0079 and defaults to disabling stage 2 frontal deployment.

Were you getting a trouble code pointing you to this sensor?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

B0083 CODE READ WITH MATCO INCEPTER

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.
Ok,. The B0083 is for the left Front End Sensor (aka Front Impact Sensor), not the Seat Position Sensor.

DTC B0083
  • Electronic Front End Sensor 1 Erratic (Left)

The Front Impact sensor is located under the front of the vehicle, driver's side, below the radiator support (see image). Carefully inspect the electrical connector and as far up the harness as you can (check carefully, due to it's location this is common!) looking for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the Front End Sensor.

Please remember the website WILL NOT automatically compensate me with a part of your deposit or from your subscription WITHOUT YOUR RATING! Please use the Rating System and *Rate My Service* if the information/advice I supplied has helped you. If you have any more questions, use the "Reply" tab – I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions! Follow-ups are always FREE! Even after you rate! Thank-you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Well that a bummer I googled the fault and a few forums came up with the seat position sensor with the p.n. ...... Do you have the correct pn for that impact sensor...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Yeah, gotta watch out for those public forums. Many times, just non-professionals giving out answers just to see their own words on a webpage. Come see us first next time!

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Impact Sensor

Front Sensor

15854647$166.67

Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ron. I got the front impact sensor and replaced it this morn (Left Front) and cleared all codes, now I am getting P0083-3a incorrect compont installed? any thoughts?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hmmm. Sounds like a possible SDM problem. There is a testing procedure that will need to be done to see if the problem is in the wiring or the SDM. Download the test procedure ((HERE))
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hey Ron the PDF will not open the DROPBOX web site opens and ask me to sine in.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.
Wow. Weird. Guess DropBox is having an off day today! hahaha! Here is the direct download link ((HERE))
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ron in the dis tree you sent it shows 2 different test points for a front end sensor and a front impact sensor can you tell me the differance between them and also the location of the SDM module?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.
The Impact sensor is for the "side" impact. The front end is the one under the front of the vehicle (the one in question). The SDM is located under the driver's seat. It will need to be removed to gain proper access.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

so i removed drivers seat and tested all points at this point i say the wireing is good and i have allready replaced the left front sensor so i assume that the SDM is bad. So i got an SMD delivered today and installed. I am trying to program the SDM with the web based AC Delco service programming system. Are you kknow any thing about this system?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with the web-based system at all. I'm sorry.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

do you have a full pin of the sdm

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.
Sorry. THough I included that in a PDF a while ago. ANyway... download it ((HERE))
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

got it thanks, XXXXX XXXXX keep bugging you but are i able to look up the correct pn for the sdm?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.
Not a bother at all! That's what I'm here for!

Parts Information OEM Part # Price

Air Bag Control Module

SDM Module

Without Inflator Curtains

15892531 $416.67

With Inflator Curtains

22759738 $416.67
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there any kinda of learn process when replacing a impact sensor?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.
No. Nothing mentioned in the repair manual procedure. However, I did just find this TSB. Download the TSB ((HERE))
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ron that TSB was right onthe money My local dealer had no clue that where was a year brake for the front sensors. NOW with all the screwing around with the SMD module and wireing i have a b0086-00 do you know where the location is and maybe if there is a year brake on that one as well

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

Great, glad the TSB helped. Sorry I didn't see it sooner!

The P0086 is Passenger's Front "side" Impact Sensor (no TSB on this one, I checked first! hahaha!). It's located inside the door. In the image below, the driver's door is shown, but the passenger's side is similar.

Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -