Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 2000 chevy Silverado 1500 z-71 4

2000 chevy Silverado 1500 z-71 4 by 4 auto trans with 188000 miles 5.3 L gas engine. I am getting coolant in the oil pan approx. 1 gallon in 5000 miles. not burning it no compression in degass bottle. runs great no miss lots of power and runs strong . Just coolant in the oil ,no oil in the coolant.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

im sorry your having this problem

when pressure tested with a pressure tester pressurizing the coolant system will it hold at 15 PSI for over 1/2 hour ? or a slow drop ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

didn't even pressure test . drained the oil pan ,left plug out and even with engine at room temperature and coolant de gas bottle cap left off , I get a drip of antifreeze out of oil pan drain plug about every 10 minutes.

ok with loosing that kind of coolant your best bet to find how its getting into the engine is as follows

pressure test the coolant system and see if when you pump it up to 15 psi you see it drop slow

if so pull the valve covers and look at the cylinder head center of it near the valve springs there are big round service plugs see if you can see the leak if so and its the plugs pull them out and reseal them

if you see it leaking but its NOT from those plugs the head may have a small crack in it and would need to be replaced

if you see nothing then remove the intake manifold and since this is a dry intake manifold look at the valley of the block under the intake and where the heads meet the block for any signs of the leak visually if you see it then either replace the head gasket or what ever is cracked

if you still see nothing the heads have to come off and be sent to the machine shop to be checked for cracks and flatness

if that doesn't show anything there is something wrong with the engine block

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no compression getting into the de gas bottle like a normal head or headgasket problem !!! no compression getting into the coolant system . can a headgasket on this type chevy engine go bad and just put coolant into oil pan without pressurizing the coolant system??? There is no bubbling inb the degass bottle running engine at operating temps!!

yes it can without pressure as long as the leak area is below the coolant line the coolant can still leak

correct a bad head gasket does not always have to involve compression

the head gasket also seals coolant passages between the cylinders and the outer edge of them

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so on this type of engine the coolant can get to an unpressured oil port and then into the oil because of a bad headgasket?? all the spark plugs are dry and it is not burning the coolant either..

it will be leaking under the valve cover , where the head gasket meets the block under the intake manifold or an issue with the block

those are the only spots it can get into the oil pan and actually be dripping out the drain plug